Disaster Preparedness Unit
What is C.E.R.T.?
C.E.R.T. stands for Community Emergency Response Team.
Watch the video below to learn more about C.E.R.T.:
Below is a small list of items persons should have in case of an emergency and they have to evacuate their homes:
- Emergency Kit items List all essentials.
- Sanitary supplies
- First Aid kit
- Blankets/sleeping mats
- Cooking utensils
- Dry food
- Prescription medicine
- Change of clothing
- Flashlight and batteries
- Radio and batteries
- Water if possible
- Games for children
- Pampers and baby items
- Map and compass.
- Swing kit
- Phone numbers of family members.
- Extra eye glasses
- Extra hearing aid batteries
However if due to some unforeseen reasons persons have to stay in suite, then the following items may be necessary.
- Small pots and pan
- Charcoals stored in dry airtight container
- A can opener
- A lighter or matches also stored in a watertight container.
- Ensure your car has full tank and you should have extra fuel since this can be a source of information and sleeping area
- Insect repellent
- Straw mats
- Water at least 10 5L bottles and a large bottle of bleach and vinegar
This is just a small list of items you may need just in case of an emergency and you cannot make it to a shelter, you should also be on very friendly terms with your neighbor. Since the minimum waiting period for official help is 72 hours or three days. However this may be longer due the fact the individuals who need to assist you also may be in distress also.
The better prepared you are to help your community and yourself the better your ability to survive any Disaster.